Friday, December 3, 2010

Poem of the day

Saturn's Rings

When people say they're in love,
I always wonder what they mean.
Those four letters strike me
with fear and bewilderment
my heart races, my hands clam

and suddenly I am in first grade
learning about Saturn's rings,
giddy by their color and beauty
stupefied by a world of darkness
I never knew I belonged to.

My friends call me a walking dictionary
but there is one word I can't define
one word that haunts me, scorns me:
I fear I will never understand.

I don't speak of it or write of it
because that would be like an artist performing surgery
so it is the tragedy
I hide in the darkness,
never speaking of, but never forgetting.

I tell myself it doesn't exist,
but I know I'm lying.
If not for love,
then for what?

Maybe this is the source of its power
maybe I will always be in first grade
in love's classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Kathryn, I love that you post your poetry, so we can all enjoy. I really liked this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca! I appreciate it sis! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Lady, You've gone and done it. You've joined the blogging world. Congratulations. I like your blog. It is fun to read your poetry.

    Why are you a flightless bird?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn!!!! I loved that poem! (This is your sister Kristin by the way.) It was really great!

    ReplyDelete