Thursday, February 24, 2011

Exciting news..

1. Well, this week I FINALLY GOT A JOB IN REXBURG, IDAHO--something, I admit, I never thought possible. Granted, it is going to be the most loathsome job of my life. It is at a call center. I will call people and survey them. Hey, as long as it keeps me fed, I'm thrilled! You can't ask much more of Rexburg, I've learned.

2. I just received word that I was accepted to participate in the National Undergraduate Literature Conference at Weber State University in Ogden, UT! I submitted several poems at the encouragement of my favorite poetry professor, but forgot all about it until I checked my email a couple days ago. I must admit that I had never heard of this conference before, but I am SO excited! It is a three day conference at the first of April, and students from all over the country come and attend workshops and read their original works. So I have to read my poetry during one of the sessions.

And the best part is that BYU-Idaho is paying my way (good thing cause it turns out it costs $130)! So, we're all gonna head down there in a van and party it up. The cool thing is that three famous writers are going to be there. Writers such as Sharon Olds (a mind-blowingly good poet, for those of you who've never heard of her), Terry Gifford, and Russell Banks. I'm just so freaking excited. What a random, unexpected opportunity!

Anyway, I gotta go do some homework, but I just wanted to let you guys know. Things are lookin up for the old Killer Keller.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! Exciting events! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you! Congrats on the job, although I should really be sending my condolences on such a miserable job. I HATED working at a call center back when I was in school. I probably cried everyday that I had to work. I was horrible at it. I fumbled through all my calls and screwed everything up. It's a miracle I made it as a missionary.

    As far as this literary conference, way to go. It'll be so fun to rub shoulders with other poet-students. It'll be like a vacation since BYU-I is paying for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah thanks for the encouragement (?) Marn. I'm ultra looking forward to this job now. haha. No, I'm already preparing myself for the tears of boredom, don't worry. The things we do to keep ourselves fed in college...

    ReplyDelete