Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Last Poet Standing

So about a month ago, I submitted a poem to a competition on campus called "Last Poet Standing," for the sheer fact that the winner received a kindle, and also a friend of mine and I wanted to compete against each other. I think 70 people initially started out, and after two elimination rounds, we are down to 12. Tonight was the second elimination round, and shockingly (literally), I made it! So now I have to write a new poem and read it next Tuesday, where three of us (probably me), will be eliminated. I should probably share the poems I've written on here. Huh?

So they give us a new challenge every round and this time the challenge is to write about a day in the life of an inanimate object. If you guys have any ideas, please, I'm all ears. The challenge for today was to write about a historical, mythological, or pop culture figure in an unusual situation. So I wrote about all the artists on my iPod chillin at a cafe. I'll include it just for fun, in case you want to read it:

iPod Café

The room is dim except for the multi-colored

lights hanging from strings above each table.

as I enter and find a seat at the bar.


Buddy Holly and Samuel Beam are talking over coffee—the coolest cats there,

while Paul Simon and the Fleet Foxes discuss politics.

John Lennon and Taylor Swift nod quaintly at each other, but don’t say much.

John is too busy catching up with Pauly and the boys.


Bob Dylan and Bob Marley are cookin up some sweet jams in the back over a bit of cannabis

while The Temptations lounge with Miles Davis, laughing about the good old days.

Mac Wilberg looks slightly uncomfortable talking to Michael Jackson

and Miley Cyrus seems to hate everyone.

I knew I shouldn’t have invited her.


Bon Iver is on the small, spotlit stage,

singing my favorite song: “Re: Stacks,”

and as I cry, Chris Martin puts his arm around me and smiles.


They’re all there,

mingling into my consciousness

sipping cokes and lattes and dreaming about better times.

And just now, I think the world is ok,

as I sit in my iPod café.

4 comments:

  1. Wahooo!! you made it past another elimination round. Kathryn, that is so awesome! Seriously I am so excited for you! You deserve it.

    And as far as writing about the unusual life of some object...maybe you could write about a tape dispenser, a rubber stamp that says SCANNED, a scanner, a paper clip, a highlighter, or white out tape. Can you tell that I am at work right now? Sorry that is as far as my imagination is willing to go this morning. If I think of anything genius I will send it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. Thanks sis. All lovely ideas. I'll consider their possibilities. Love ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Doesn't this make you a legit poet? I think this next topic assignment sounds interesting. I can't wait to see what you write about. All the inanimate objects I'm thinking of involve babies and children and I doubt that's very interesting to a college campus. Kid toys see lots of action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha all ideas are valid Marnie. I don't really know if this makes me an official poet, but maybe if I get accepted to this national undergrad literary conference, we'll consider that possibility. :)

    ReplyDelete