Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Last Poet Standing Update

Ok so tonight was round three of the poetry competition here at BYU-Idaho, and I guess I should say at this point that I'm beyond shocked!! Because....I made it to round four!!!! They eliminated three people tonight, which means there are only 9 of us left. Needless to say, I'm getting nervous. There are some truly amazing poets left, like mind-blowing, and I actually can't understand why I'm still there man. hahah. This has gone WAY farther than I ever thought it would. Anyway, if I do win the kindle, I'm selling it for some moolah. That would actually be SWEET!!! :) Here is the poem I wrote today about an inanimate object:

Ostia Antica

I’ll never forget your frescoed walls

or broken children,

crumbling under an ancient Italian sun,

as I meandered with gelato swimming on my tongue,

through your gardens and homes.


I had never seen so much brokenness.

It made me sad.

It made me relieved.

Relieved to know that I can be broken too,

but also beautiful.


I crumble.

I rust.

I topple.

Maybe someday, people will travel a long way to look at me

too.


Your empty rooms and shaded corridors

were sacked by pirates,

and burned by your enemies.

You were once the great harbor city of Rome.

Now you are a memory people pay 6.5 euro to look at.


I'm actually embarrassed because this is totally unfinished, and in fact, I was still finishing it when they called me up to the stage first. I was mad I went first. Stay tuned for next week. This is about the only cool thing going on in my life right now, and consequently, the focus of my blog. Oh, and next week's challenge is "the day after Valentine's." Consequently, the next round takes place on the day after Valentine's. If anyone has any brilliant ideas, let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Kathryn, you're a fantastic poet! Seriously, I've loved all the poems you've posted on your blog.

    Could I commission a valentine's day poem for Stephan, from you? Something sweet and sarcastic. And short, of course because I know you're busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Marnie. That means a lot. As far as a Valentine's poem for Stephan, hmm...I'm not super great at love poems, but I'll see what I can come up with. No guarantees though. I'll send it your way when I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!!I'm so impressed! Your poems are all seriously good! Congratulations girl!! I would like to get some more details on how this works. Do you have to read it in front of an audience? Who are the judges? How many started out in the competition? I just think this is so cool and I'm super proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kris. There were initially 70 poets. I read my poem in front of an audience of students every Tuesday night on campus. There are three judges/English teachers and stuff, and I'm not really sure who gets the final vote or not. The audience votes for their least favorite and their favorite poet and then they tally it up. It was really scary reading my poetry in front of a big crowd at first, but I'm getting better at it.

    ReplyDelete